Support Person & Advocate

Support Person & Advocate

Complainants may be accompanied by a support person (i.e., advisor or advocate) throughout the entire process of reporting and addressing the concerns (i.e., alternative resolution or formal investigation process).  Respondents may be accompanied by a support person (i.e., advisor) throughout the entire process of addressing the concerns.  A support person can help in navigate the process and answer questions.

Path in Arboretum

Who can be an support person?

A support person (i .e., advisor or advocate) can include any individual, except a potential witness, who provides the Complainant or Respondent with support, guidance, or advice. This can include, but is not limited to, family, friends, and attorneys. The University may restrict the extent to which the support person can participate in the process.

On-Campus Support People

  • Complainant- Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment Support People
  • The Center for Advocacy, Resources, and Education (CARE) offers confidential support for all students, staff, and faculty who experienced any form of sexual violence, including sexual assault, sexual harassment, domestic/dating violence, and stalking. A CARE advocate can assist complainant's in understanding their reporting options and can accompany them as a support person throughout the process (i.e., intake meetings).

    More information can be found at CARE can also be reached at (530) 752-3299 or for UC Davis Health at (916) 734-3799.  To speak with the emergency on-call victim advocate, call the CARE answering service at (866) 515-0155 and the on-call advocate will get back to you immediately.
  • Respondent- Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment Support People
  • If you have been accused of sexual violence or sexual harassment, there are campus services available to help you understand your rights and the investigation and adjudication processes. Respondent Services Coordinators have been appointed to assist any students, staff members, or faculty who have been accused of sexual violence.  

    They can help you understand your rights, explain and help you navigate the investigation and adjudication processes, including formal hearings, and refer you to campus and community resources, such as for psychological counseling, legal services (including help understanding and complying with protection orders), alternative housing, academic changes and other needs.  Please note they cannot accompany you to meetings. 

    More information, including contact information of support people, can be found at